Wednesday 5 November 2014

The last of the Tower (almost)

The post comprises of photos taken over two separate weeks- work has been busy, and I had a cold so opportunities to take pictures were limited. I did however manage to finish off the last few streets close to the Tower of London; the tower itself is not within the city boundary so although I have visited to see the poppies I have not photographed them for this project.

Two particular streets caused me a lot of bother. I had been to them four or five times whilst photographing surrounding streets, but not could not identify anything remotely worth shooting. On my recent weekend visit when I did some long exposure photography, I did get some ideas but had left my camera on manual focus and the shots were out of focus. So I headed back for hopefully one final visit. First to Harp Lane, which is a very short street with one unattractive building on either side and nothing else. The picture below would seem to be the entrance to the "Worshipful Company of Bakers' one of the oldest liveries in the city. However the lights were not on and there is no one at the reception on any of the occasions I visited. The lights were on round the corner though.


Harp Lane leads to a small square called Bakes Hall Court named after the company of bakers, where there is equally little to photograph. The best I could come up with was the following shot.


Just off of Lower Thames Street opposite Great Tower Street lies Tower Place, a pedestrian area in front of newish office block.


This leads to Gloucester Court which is very small and isn't really a court. Its on the city boundary and is right next to the tower which can just about be made out in the picture below.


This in turn leads to Petty Wales, which is populated mostly by tacky touristy shops. There is a however a very unusual  and small round building towards the bottom of the street which millions of people probably walk past without even noticing, as did I; I only found out when writing this post that it actually leads to a tunnel under the river, which opened in 1870. More information on it can be found here.


At the bottom of Petty Wales lies Three Quays Walk and Sugar Quay Walk. Its not really clear where one ends and the other starts. I don't recall there being any signs and there are inconsistencies in different maps.





You cannot get any further along the Thames here; access is blocked off though this could be temporary. So backtracking to Lower Thames Street and down Water Lane for my final picture of the post.



No comments:

Post a Comment