Wednesday 10 June 2015

More Half Days - part 4

Is been a long long time since I blogged, but I am still going strong. A bit slower mind you due to a couple of things. Firstly work has been very busy. Secondly as I have started to get towards the end of this project, I started thinking about what I was going to do afterwards, which seemed to have the effect of slowing me down.

Anyway, on the with the show, and since I am blogging on photos taken in March, details may not be so clear in my head. As the title suggests ,this was another half days vacation, and I concentrated my efforts  around the Blackfriars area. First of all though I had to get there so filled in a couple of streets along the way. First up was Distaff Lane which snakes a bit between Queen Victoria Street and Cannon Street. I was attracted to the shadows and reflections of light from windows in this particular shot.




A bit further along Queen Victoria Street on the southern side is  St. Benet's Metropolitan Welsh Church which conducts services in Welsh. Can you guess what destroyed the church and who rebuilt it? Snaking around the church is St. Bennet's Hill (curious that the church has one 'n' in it and the street two) where I took this image of some road cones on the pavement.


A bit further along Queen Victoria Street was White Lion Hill. It was closed to traffic as there was lots of work going on, but there would not have been much too photograph on a busy day. I took my inspiration from some steps that led down to the Thames footpath.



Continuing along Queen Victoria Street, I came to the wonderfully named Puddle Dock. Unsurprisingly it was previously a dock, and hopefully deeper than a puddle, otherwise it would not have been much use as a dock.



Next up was Blackfriars bridge where I spotted a giant pigeon about to trample an office block before going on a ride, King Kong style on the London Eye.


Going North, the road going across the bridge becomes New Bridge Street where I photographed Cheeky Chicos - I hope they appreciate the huge amount of web traffic I send there way :-)


Round the side of Blackfriars station is Blackfriars Passage. Its the sort of street that nobody other than black cab drivers with "The Knowledge" know about or use. There is not really anything there, but I spent a few minutes getting an image of a security camera seemingly recording my shadow,


A bit further north now to Waithman Street where it seems they are rather fond of their wall. I wonder if bicycle's are OK?



At one end of Waithman Street is Blackfriars Lane where I photographed the following image - another one where  I liked the light and shadows.


Off this lane is Playhouse Yard where I took a couple of images.





Back up Blackfriars lane and heading north it turns into Ludgate Broadway where I saw some more interesting light and shadow.


Just off of here is Cobbs Court which then leads onto Priory Court.



Next up is Church Entry. Is this area stood the Dominican priory of the Blackfriars. The name Churhc Entry would indicate the usual passage between the nave and the chancel.

The final picture from this day was taken outside The Cockpit pub on Ireland Yard, and is slightly strange. Of course the answer to the question is "Yes, I saw it at Blackfriars Bridge, about to flatten an office block!".



And that takes us up to the end of March, so in my usual fashion I will show the map of my progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment