Monday 4 August 2014

Better Late than never

I'm a bit behind with both blogging and editing at the moment. Work has been busy, but I also did a macro workshop up near Cambridge, photographing dragonflies and damselflies, and had a lot of photos to sift through afterwards.

Anyway, I haven't yet made it back around the Holborn/Chancery Lane area; I need to, but due to its distance from the office, I really need to dedicate a couple of hours after work in that area, rather than just a half hour or so on the way to the tube. Instead I filled in some of the gaps I had between the Aldgate and Tower Hill area. First up is Jewry Street, which is just off Aldgate.


Next up is possibly my worst photo of the entire project, taken on Carlisle Avenue, which is off of Jewry Street. I was taken by the irony of the sign and the damage to the building, but even if it has a little bit of humour, it still doesn't make a good image.


At the end of Carlisle Avenue is a little alley which leads to Lloyd's Avenue. There wasn't too much to photograph her, but I liked the stripes on the steps and ground. I was also a little intrigued by the giant light bulb and I wish I had found it what it was about.


At the end of Lloyd's Avenue I turned onto Crosswall, which I thought I had photographed, but hadn't, and onto America Square. Not much took my eye here, but just before the railway bridge, which I think still classifies as part of the the Square I saw lots of bollards and roadwork sings, which looked like they would make an interesting picture. Whilst I was trying to decide on my composition, one of the Chef'' from the bar came out for a  smoke -



Under the railway bridge is the very aptly named Crescent.


On the maps, there is a street at the end of the Crescent called Hammett Street, which leads to Minories. At the moment there is just a building site here, so its unclear as to whether or not Hammett Street will be swallowed up or reappear.

A few streets away is the brilliantly named Seething Lane, where Samuel Pepys lived. On Pepy's advice the king blew up many buildings to great fire breaks and to stop the spread of the great fire. It is largely due to this advice that Pepys house survived, but ironically it burnt down five years late. My image from this street is nothing to do with Pepy's but instead is the from the side of a pub.


The final image of this post is from Muscovy Street,which is towards the end of Seething Lane and leads to Trinity Square.  Apparently this street is named after Peter the Great who frequented a pub nearby (see Russians in London: Peter the Great ).


No comments:

Post a Comment