Sunday 20 April 2014

What have I got myself into?

I thought over the idea of photographing every street in the city for a few days and it seemed like a good project and challenge to set myself. I asked the Chairman of my camera club if he had filled all the presenting slots for next season, and he still had two slots to fill. I told him about my idea, which he liked, and so I will now be presenting my project on 21st of January 2015. I felt strangely good about this, I had committed to the project, and had to do it now!
However, it was only when I came to writing this blog entry that I discovered there were 393 streets in the city of London (and does this include all those little alleys?). I have photographed about 20 so far. In order to complete my project in line with the RPS time frame (October), I will need to photograph around 60 streets a month. In order to complete by the end of year, and just in time for my presentation, I will need to photograph 45 a month. Even the lower of those figures is going to be a tall order, especially as so far I have been mostly shooting very close to my office. Maybe I should have done the maths before committing. !#@&*^%$

Anyway....

Pinners Passage is a small walkway from Old Broad Street to Austin Friars. You might think it doesnt count, but it does have its own street sign, and in my book that means it counts. The building above and to the side of it is fairly recent and Pinners Passage could have dissapeared, but didnt; I think its nice that it still remains.



The next image, with another reflection of Tower 42, shows one end of Austin Friars, and on the other side of the railings, Throgmorton Avenue. Which Street would this count towards, or could you count it for both? In this case, Ihave photographed Austin Friars before, and have another picture of Throgmorton Street (below), so it doest really matter, but it does make me wonder.



Below is  a sign on Throgmorton Avenue about Drapers Hall. Drapers Hall was originally built on land adjacent to, and bought from the Augustinian friary. It had been the house of Thomas Cromwell, Chief Minister to Henry VIII until he was executed in 1540. The Drapers company purchased the property three years later.


Austin Friars Passage is a Tiny alley between Austin Friars and Great Winchester Street, that doesn't give you many options in which to photograph it.



I loved this scene in the alley, though got a few odd looks photographing it. I was tempted to clone out the last line of the sign to add to the humour of it.



The next shot is taken on Lothbury. The building in the picture is the rear of the Bank of England. I loved the dappled light on the wall.



This is the front of the bank of England on Threadneedle Street, taken from in front of the Royal Exchange. The statue is of the Duke of Wellington.



Below is from London Wall, which was originally the defensive wall built around London by the Romans. There are a few places left where they are remains of the wall.



And finally a shot of Moorgate. I'm sure I used to occasionally visit a greasy spoon for breakfast, where this building site is now, when I worked in London previously. I accidentally pressed the shutter in taking this picture whilst checking my camera settings, but it turned out ok(ish).




No comments:

Post a Comment