Wednesday 28 May 2014

Lacking Inspiration

I have struggling a bit with bronchitis the last few weeks so I have been feeling quite run down. As a result I have been lacking both inspiration and motivation, but I had to keep shooting to stay on track.

All my photography time the last week was spent mostly between work (Old Broad Street) and Aldgate. I started off at Devonshire Square which I referenced in a picture of Devonshire Row last week. The picture below doesn't actually show the square itself but the road coming off the square, and which shares the same name. The office in the background is occupied by the Royal Bank of Scotland.


Down from Devonshire Row, just off Harrow Place is Artizan Street, where the Middlesex Street Estate starts.


At the opposite end of the the estate is Gravel Lane, and here I photographed one of the shops on the ground floor of the estate building; I don't think I have ever seen so many hats in one place before.


The following morning I made it into the City about 8:30, so had a bit of time to take some photos, but the rain dampened my enthusiasm a little and I only managed to tick off two streets.I started off at Alderman's Walk, which I had thought I had photographed last week, but hadn't.



Before heading into the office I popped over to Threadneedle Walk, which connects Throgmorton Street with Old Broad Street. The sculpture at the Old Broad Street end, shown below, is called "The City Wing" and is by the president of the Royal Academy of Arts, Christopher Le Brun. It was erected in 2009 and is 10 metres tall.



Later, after work, I managed a couple more shots. The first is from Camomile Street, though it might seem like its from Bishopsgate. 100 Bishopsgate is one of the many new office blocks currently being developed in the City, on the corner of Bishopsgate and Camomile Street. Its construction looks like it is going to remove at least two streets from the map; Clerks Place and Wrestlers Court.



Close by, between Houndsditch and Devonshire Square is Barbon Alley. This is likely named after Nicholas Barbon, who was a MP, property developer and insurance magnate amongst other things. He developed many areas of the city after the Great Fire, ignoring statute and using strong arm tactics to do so, demolishing many buildings without permission in the process. An odd and interesting fact is that his middle name was "Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned".


No comments:

Post a Comment