Monday, 15 December 2014

A half day - Part One

The western part of city from the Thames up to Holborn and west of Farringdon Street/ New Bridge Street is the furthest part of the city from my place of work, and therefore the longest to get to. This makes it an impossible area to visit either prior to work or in a lunch break. I recognised early on in the project that I would have to complete this area prior to the onset of winter and the dark nights, but failed to listen to myself. Thus I had to take some the first of at least a couple of half days vacation, in order to tackle this area during the week and in daylight.

So I worked till lunch time and then headed off towards the river and down Kennett Wharf Lane, a little street off Upper Thames Street. There is not much to say about this shot except it looks like quite a few others that I have taken in this project.

On reaching the river I took a little detour underneath Southward Bridge to photograph Fruiteres Passage. This rather lovely tunnel was built in the 1920's and is named after the worshipful company of fruiterers who had a warehouse on the banks of the river above. The walls of the tunnel feature murals depicting scenes of London, the originals of which are now in the Guildhall. I managed to catch some reflection of people at the far end, as they approach but before they enter the passage, which I thought gave the image a slightly ghostly feel, but that could just be me.

I then turned around and headed west again and onto Queenhithe and then back onto Upper Thames Street. In doing so I missed out a few streets, but this area was not my main goal of the afternoon, so if I was not immediately inspired, then I carried on my way. At the end of Queenhithe, there is  a bridge crossing Upper Thames Street; its questionable whether the southern side starts on Upper Thames Street or on  High Timber Street, but the latter had limited opportunities for an interesting photograph, so the following image of that is bridge is credited to being on High Timber Street.

I then took the following image of a tunnel on Upper Thames Street that I quite like. I think its all the diagonal lines, and I had a couple of images with a lone taxi, but in the end settled for an image with no vehicles in it.

Missing out a few more streets I headed back onto the Thames and onto Paul's Walk - this walkway stretches all the way to Victoria Embankment without changing name, a fact I was very glad of. Teh location of the image below was taken below Blackfriars railway bridge.

On reaching Victoria Embankement  I then headed away from the river and up towards Fleet Street; completing as much of this area as possible was my main goal of the afternoon. I started off on Tallis Street, where I photographed some of Boris' Bikes. I have photographed these a few times before as have many others but this was the first time I had seen a yellow one, and it contrasted nicely with the blue one; the workman in the orange jacket was an added bonus.

Continuing towards Fleet Street I then took a couple of pictures on Bouverie Street. The first is a bit more like my usual sort of short, whilst the second was an attempt to do something a little different and which I think turned out rather well - I like it anyway.

Just round the corner from here is Temple Lane, where I took a couple of more images.

At the top of Temple Lane is Lombard Lane, where due to a lack of inspiration, I photographed myself or at least my reflection. My shadow has appeared previously in the project and now my reflection.

Towards the top of this lane is a left turn that leads to Serjeants Inn Courtyard, where the following image was taken.

Around the corner from here and heading towards Fleet Street is a tiny footpath called Hare Place. After wandering and wondering what to shoot for a few minutes, I plucked up the courage to speak to the girl below, before she finished her cigarette break and vanished. I told her about the project and she was more than happy for me to take her picture -if you are reading this, then I apologise that it has taken three weeks to post the image (the likelihood is that she got bored waiting for it to appear).

Since this was quite a productive outing with lots of images, I am splitting it up into two posts; the second to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment