Tuesday 16 December 2014

A half day - Part two

I am going to start off the second part of my half day with my favourite image of the day, and the second time I asked someone if I could take their picture. I did by a coffee but he was such a nice bloke I don't think he wouldn't have minded even if I hadn't bought a drink.The image itself was taken on St. Bride's Avenue in front of the church of that name. A church has been on this site since the 7th Century and was one of many which was destroyed by the Great fire of London, designed or built by Sir Christoper Wren and then again damaged during the second world war.



Now going back a bit in the afternoon and a much less interesting shot on Whitefriars Street.


Almost opposite here is Primrose Hill, which is not much of a hill, more of a gentle incline. I was lacking inspiration a little here, but thought the dark building with all its patterns and lines might look slightly interesting against a stark sky. I was right, but only slightly.


Between here and Dorse Rise lies Hutton Street a featureless street, which I tried to rescue with a bit of strong processing.


Close by is Dorset building, and another average shot really, but there is something mildly interesting to tell here. After taking an image I always take an picture of the street sign to remind me of the location when I get home. When I looked at the street sign picture on my PC I noticed the street sign said EC2 - but this area was surely  EC4, whilst EC2 is around  Liverpool Street, Bank and Moorgate. Surely it was a mistake, and you can just make out on this Google Streetview Image that there are two signs for the street directly opposite each other, one of which says EC2 and the other which says EC4.


Close by is Salisbury Square and the following shot was taken of a stairway leading from the square down to Primrose Hill - I was standing at the top of the stairs at the square so I am am counting it as that (and they are my rules so there).


Pleydell Street is few streets away from here, and geographically at least should have appeared in part one, as it is between Bouverie Street and Lombard Lane, both of which featured in that post. It is very short street and didn't have too much to photograph, so took a couple of visits to get something half decent.


Whilst heading back from Pleydell Street I noticed Salisbury Court, which is one of those annoying places that you think you have photographed only to find out that the street changes name. Salisbury Court is at the top (Fleet Street end) of Dorset Lane near the court of the same name (above). It was worth finding though as I came across this lovely building where the first edition of the Sunday Times was edited on October 20th 1822.


Heading back towards the first image in this post and to Bride Court, an image I really like, and Bride Lane, an image I like a lot less.



Close by is Ludgate Circus, which is basically the junction Ludgate Hill and Fleet Street meet Farrindon Street and New Bridge Street.



At this point I had had enough and it was starting to rain and get dark. However I had noticed some lights on the ground at St. Brides Passage earlier that I thought might make an interesting image, so headed back there. Climbing the steps up the passage though I saw another opportunity for a shot and waited a few minutes for someone to come up the stairs. It was my last image of the day, and very nearly my favourite.



No comments:

Post a Comment