Friday 27 June 2014

The Barbican - Part 2 1/2

This week I spent most of my (photography) time in the Barbican, and will be hoping to complete it in the next week or so. I don't feel as though I can write that much about the individual streets and "highwalks", and in most cases will leave the pictures to do the talking. But I will start off with a little history and information.

The city of London suffered a lot of damage during the second world war. The Cripplegate ward was almost entirely destroyed and it is here where the Barbican estate was built in the mid sixties and early seventies. The estate was designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon in the brutalist style, and was Grade II listed in 2001. As well  as a residential complex, the Barbican also contains the Barbican Centre, a public library, the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the Museum of London and the City of London School for Girls. There used to be a YMCA which I photographed previously, but this has closed down.

I have taken a few pictures of Barbican previously, which is why this isn't part one, so perhaps I should have introduced it before. Anyway...

Moorfields Highwalk - this goes from Moorgate into the main estate, crossing Moor Lane.


Brandon Mews


Speed Highwalk


Cromwell Highwalk


Breton Highwalk


John Wesley Highwalk


Seddon Highwalk



Wallside


No comments:

Post a Comment